[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Apr 12 23:29:32 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 01:20:05AM +0200, Xen wrote:
> Greg KH schreef op 13-04-16 01:16:
> > On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 12:39:37AM +0200, Xen wrote:
> >> All you need to do is wait a few seconds before you start renaming
> >
> > Most machines boot to login faster than a "few seconds", so:
>
> Most machines boot to login faster than a few seconds?
>
> What machines are you talking about?

All execpt for 4-socket and larger servers.  They take tens of minutes
in the BIOS and then less than a minute in the kernel/userspace,
depending on the amount of memory.

Doesn't your laptop/desktop boot that fast?  If not, you are using the
wrong distro :)

> Anyway the 3 seconds I mentioned is or would be a relative number.

You have to define this in a way that will properly work.

> I am sure you can provision that in your boot sequence.

How?

> >> or wait on some defined trigger.
> >
> > Exactly what type of "defined trigger" would work for busses that you
> > never know when they are finished being probed?
>
> What buses are you mentioning here?

PCI, USB, etc.

thanks,

greg k-h