[systemd-devel] on the default for, PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

Jetchko Jekov jetchko.jekov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:45:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:57 AM Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
wrote:

> Am 13.04.2016 um 18:51 schrieb Sam Tresler:
> > I didn't make it through the rest of your post, but thought I'd chime in
> > with `ifconfig` has been deprecated since 2009.
> >
> > 2009. I don't get deep into the distros, but I really wish they'd stop
> > shipping it.
> >
> > `man ip` should give you info on the right tool you need to retrieve
> > your network info. From there it is just some pipework to get a list you
> > can iterate over.
> >
> > $ ip -o a | awk '{print $2}' | uniq
>
> blub - gives a (incomplete) list of the current interfaces - so what is
> the advantage you wnated to demonstrate?
>
> wrong
that gives you  *configured IP addresses* on interfaces. if there are
interfaces without addresses obviously they wont be listed ...

for list of interfaces command is
ip [-o] l[ink] [show]

and I would point out that output of ifconfig wont give you complete list
of interfaces as opposed to ip link show

[root at rh:~]$ ip -o a | awk '{print $2}' | uniq