[systemd-devel] Factoring out initctl support (was: Re: [RFC] the chopping block)

Daniel Mack daniel at zonque.org
Fri Apr 15 10:42:06 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

On 04/01/2016 10:11 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym at gentoo.org> wrote:

>> The existing systemd-initctl (/dev/initctl) interface works quite
>> nicely, so I will probably end up extracting it from systemd when you
>> drop it, or just building/installing it from an older systemd tarball.
>> No need to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>> Thanks for the response.
>
> Ripping systemd-initctl out of the systemd source tree was more
> difficult than I anticipated. Instead, I rewrote a simpler version.
> The code is on bitbucket.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/floppym/gentoo-systemd-initctl/src

Nice, thanks for working on this! What's still missing in that is the
other side, the client that talks to the initctl socket. I have patches
to remove the initctl bits from the systemd repo, and add a callout from
systemctl to binaries in a directory. The initctl client would live in
that directory, and be automatically called as a fallback then.

Would you be okay with transferring this repository to the systemd
organization on GitHub?

Michael, would you be fine with integrating this downstream to not lose
any compat?

Thanks,
Daniel