[systemd-devel] Factoring out initctl support

Daniel Mack daniel at zonque.org
Fri Apr 15 15:43:06 UTC 2016

On 04/15/2016 03:55 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 6:42 AM, Daniel Mack <daniel at zonque.org> wrote:
>> Nice, thanks for working on this! What's still missing in that is the
>> other side, the client that talks to the initctl socket. I have patches
>> to remove the initctl bits from the systemd repo, and add a callout from
>> systemctl to binaries in a directory. The initctl client would live in
>> that directory, and be automatically called as a fallback then.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this; the de-facto "initctl client" is
> the telinit binary from sysvinit. There should be no need to
> re-implement that.
>
> Are you referring to some other interface? Does upstart do something similar?

I'm referring to systemctl's own implementation, which is used when PID1
is not systemd. See talk_initctl() in systemctl.c. I'd move that out to
an own binary, and add a generic callout mechanism to systemctl (which I
already did).

What also missing in your repository is the manpage and a README.

>> Would you be okay with transferring this repository to the systemd
>> organization on GitHub?
>
> I'm happy to move it if others want to utilize it. I will need someone
> to set me up with access to push the code, however.

Great, will do. What's your GitHub handle?

Thanks,
Daniel