[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Apr 15 15:48:25 UTC 2016

Reindl Harald schreef op 13-04-16 10:24:

> Am 13.04.2016 um 02:42 schrieb Xen:
>> Greg KH schreef op 13-04-16 01:29:
>>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 01:20:05AM +0200, Xen wrote:
>>
>>> All execpt for 4-socket and larger servers.  They take tens of minutes
>>> in the BIOS and then less than a minute in the kernel/userspace,
>>> depending on the amount of memory.
>>>
>>> Doesn't your laptop/desktop boot that fast?  If not, you are using the
>>> wrong distro :)
>>
>> I have no SSD. Even a 4-rotating-disk raid-10 system using a relatively
>> new processor (FX 6300) does definitely not boot within a few seconds
>
> 4xHDD raid-10, hardware from 2011
> Startup finished in 660ms (kernel) + 5.380s (initrd) + 12.769s
> (userspace) = 18.810s
>
> os on sd-card
> Startup finished in 375ms (kernel) + 4.306s (initrd) + 8.323s
> (userspace) = 13.005s
>
> so 3 seconds is unacceptable and the idea ist a joke in general because
> you wait for something possibly happen while you don't know how long you
> have to wait and jsut hope for luck - that's not a good design and won't
> bew accepted anywhere

You are the only one taking 3 seconds seriously as something to hang
onto just so you can say that I am full of shit.

That makes you a retard, not me.

If the system needs to start networking and its devices are not present,
it is in trouble anyway. You seem to fail to appreciate that logical
problem.

You so proudly profess that your system is booted in whatever short
amount of time but good old you is willing to wait three hours before
the networking device is actually detected?

What fool you are then.

It is perfectly clear that in every boot you do this device is going to
be present at a perfectly rational and predictable interval of time.

You have systems that boot in 4 seconds but now you have issues with
networking hardware not showing up in time? Can you please stop
contradicting yourself????

Jesus christ, I am out of here, or at least not responding anymore to
you (after the next).

Oh and yes to restate:

If you currently have systems that reliably are able to start
networking, then you will also have systems that reliably are able to
start networking if you rename devices prior to that moment in one go.