[systemd-devel] Network Interface Names: solution for a desktop OS

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Apr 15 16:06:15 UTC 2016

Am 15.04.2016 um 18:02 schrieb Xen:

>>> You are the only one taking 3 seconds seriously as something to hang
>>> onto just so you can say that I am full of shit
>>
>> it don't matter *how long* you wait for something you don't know if it
>> ever appears and how long it take to appear - period
>
> That's why you *don't* and you just proceed with it in line with the
> current booting of the system, you just postpone the renaming to a later
> stage where you rename all in one go, instead of each time a device is
> discovered

* you don't know *when* that later is
* until that has happened all other services have to wait
* this won#t work in real life
* if it would work that way it would have been implemented

HONESTLY: i *hate* that predictable stuff too, i don't need it, i
disable it and would prefer that the ones who *really* need it has to
enable it instead you need to touch your config on the majority of
machines which have only one NIC (since current mainboards don't have
dualport NICs as some yaers ago)

BUT: i would be careful to pretend i have a doable solution which works
for *all* usecases when people working for many years on the kernel did
not found one