[systemd-devel] Factoring out initctl support

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:47:48 UTC 2016

> On 04/15/2016 07:03 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:

>>> Great, will do. What's your GitHub handle?
>>
>> I'm floppym on github.
>>

> Thanks - you're now the admin of this new repository:
>
>   https://github.com/systemd/systemd-initctl/
>
> I'm happy to push the client code there once you migrated the project.
>

> However, I'd still like to have an Ack from Michael Biebl on the
> downstream integration of this new repository.

Well, I guess I already explained our situation. We still need
/dev/initctl in Debian, so ripping that out means we have to provide
that some other way.
I'm not sure if a separate package (large overhead) or simply
reverting the removal is the better option here.

I can only reiterate what I said before: the code is pretty isolated
so I don't see how that causes upstream any maintenance headaches and
I would volunteer to take care of any issues that are caused by that
code.
Personally I would prefer it, if we added a configure switch. This
would be off by default so we wouldn't advertise legacy cruft by
default but it would make it easier for distros which need to maintain
that level of compat support.

Ripping the code out means additional work for us and basically no
gain upstream imho, aside from asthetics.

So from my POV it's a NACK, as I don't see the benefits and only the
additional work.

Regards,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?