[systemd-devel] systemd hibernator generator does not function on default Fedora install

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 07:00:22 UTC 2016

On 20 Apr 2016 05:47, "Chris Murphy" <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 4:10 AM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>

> > So what precisely are you proposing? That we actively search for the
> > swap partition in the hibernate-resume generator?
>
> I think the main thing James is after, I know I'm in this camp, is
> understanding all the parts and how they interrelate. Fedora doesn't
> support it at all, and James it trying to figure out why not, and
> needs sufficient understanding of hibernation in order to determine
> which groups need to do what to make it work reliably or at least fail
> safe, neither of which appear to be true right now.

Nothing even as grandiose as that.

I'm just looking for the best way to avoid Fedora laptop users unexpectedly
losing their data.

I spent some time reading through the kernel docs on this last night, as
ultimately that's what we rely on.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/

Regardless of how the hibernate generator might potentially be changed to
attempt to locate a valid swap partition with hibernate data, or how
difficult that may be given the nature of running in an initrd and as a
generator, we still need to follow the kernel requirements for
suspend-to-disk.

The documented way there is resume= so I feel that's the best way to direct
the Fedora bug as it stands.

If the anaconda guys disagree then I think the best course of action to
avoid unexpected data loss is to have upower not default to HybridSleep but
go straight to shutdown.

I'll update the bug comments later today with the results of this thread.

Thank you all for your input.