[systemd-devel] systemctl status etc attempts to load unit

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:31:58 UTC 2016

I was grown to believe that I need "systemctl daemon-reload" to make
systemd recognize new units, but apparently it is no more the case. Just
dropping unit definition in standard place and running "systemctl status
new-unit" is enough to trigger systemd into loading it.

It apparently is not affected by --no-reload flag and is true for any
systemctl command that takes unit name as argument.

Does my memory fail me and it has always been the case? I tentatively
tracked this to commit 718db96199eb307751264e4163555662c9a389fa.

Note that behavior is also inconsistent when taking patterns in account.
It means that

systemctl status foo

behaves differently from

systemctl status foo*

There is nothing in documentation or commit message regarding this
behavior. Is this change intentional?