[systemd-devel] Reacting to non-systemd mounts

Matteo Panella matteo.panella at cnaf.infn.it
Fri Aug 5 10:37:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 05/08/2016 09:26, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> In this case pragmatic solution is to order your service after mmfsd
> startup, assuming your filesystems are configured to be automounted

I already have such a dep in place, but due to the asynchronous nature
of GPFS the mount can (and does) happen seconds or even tens of seconds
after mmfsd is up and running. It's... "complicated" :-)

> Yes, this is second real life case after ZFS which does not fit in
> rather simplistic model. We probably need something like passive
> dependencies similar to how devices are handled, where systemd simply
> waits for a unit to appear without attempting to start it itself.

I'm already using device units to have gpfs.service wait for its LUs to
be ready and it works flawlessly. Having a way to declare a passive dep
on a mount unit would simplify the "downward" flow and avoid ugly
kludges with mountinfo or GPFS callbacks.

But even if it gets implemented I'd have to wait for a downstream
backport, so I still have to write "something" in the meantime :-)

Regards,
--
Matteo Panella
INFN CNAF