[systemd-devel] Head ups - upstream first no longer applies to the kernel.

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 16:52:10 UTC 2016

On 08/15/2016 04:08 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:53:56AM +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>> >Just a heads up based on the merge  of [1] systemd no longer
>> >requires features to have been accepted in the upstream kernel
>> >before merging it.
> See the man page:
>
>      Due to the lack of consensus in the kernel community, the CPU controller
>      support on the unified cgroup hierarchy requires out-of-tree kernel patches.
>      See cgroup-v2-cpu.txt[3].
>
> I think that's pretty clear. If you think it should be made more clear, let
> me know how.

Irrelevant if it's clear or not and repeating does not change the fact that merging this into the master branch means the policy of upstream first no longer applies so it can never be used as an argument used against merging submitted code against the entire systemd codebase.

This ought have been rejected or resided in it's own "experimental" branch of the systemd codebase until they have sorted the cgroupv2 stuff out upstream.

JBG