[systemd-devel] Head ups - upstream first no longer applies to the kernel.

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Wed Aug 17 17:11:50 UTC 2016

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson schreef op 16-08-2016 18:58:

> I personally recommend the project should stick with the original line
> drew in the sand, for the master branch and all the "experimental"
> stuff which may or may not come to pass, be kept in it's own
> experimental branch which would be the best of the both worlds I would
> think. Downstream that want stability get what they want and are less
> likely to experience any sudden *surprises* and those that want the
> experimental stuff for whatever reason like testing get what they
> want.

Not wanting to barge in here, but it seems to me that your disagreement
is not necessarily a principle stance, but merely the fact that
different people have different principle stances that conflict.

And so they conflict and if one party wants upstream to happen first and
the other party wants downstream to happen first, you are at a
stalemate. And it is not so much because intermixing seems bad but
because you have a practical problem which is that some developer
refuses to do something because it hasn't been upstreamed yet.

This refusal that you considered perfectly reasonable seems the only
obstacle here for you. And then it becomes a problem if other people do
not also follow that principle. But instead of making other people more
strict, I would suggest you focus on making the other party less strict.
It seems this strictness is the only problem here, instead of the
solution.

Regards.