[systemd-devel] PrivateNetwork and libusb

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 09:25:12 UTC 2016

Hi all,

For a long time colord has had PrivateNetwork commented out in colord,
as it prevented libudev working correctly. We thought that perhaps
udev's AF_NETLINK messages are being filtered when network namespacing
is on. In an unrelated project (this time fwupd) we recently also
found that libusb hotplug events are not being allowed when run under
systemd but work fine when run manually. I assume this is libusb using
libudev to do hotplug detection, and thus is the same issue.

It would be a shame to have PrivateNetwork commented out in fwupd,
especially as it's a root daemon that has no business dealing with
networking stuff. Is there a way of using PrivateNetwork=yes and
allowing AF_NETLINK to correctly work?

Thanks,

Richard.