[systemd-devel] news on Issue # 4078 ?

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Thu Dec 15 18:26:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 04:37:19PM +0000, arnaud gaboury wrote:
> I am still with a broken UID/GID container for some specific directories.
> This is described in issue #4078 [0].
>
> It start to be annoying as I can't upgrade some packages on the Fedora
> container. At least, I think failed upgrades are related to this issue.
> Let's take one example:
>
> # dnf upgrade iputils
>   Upgrading   :
> iputils-20161105-1.fc25.x86_64
> 1/2
> Error unpacking rpm package iputils-20161105-1.fc25.x86_64
> Error unpacking rpm package iputils-20161105-1.fc25.x86_64
> error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/ping;5852c405: cpio:
> cap_set_file
>
> First, are these errors probably due to my UID/GID issues?

  This error is because ping in Fedora is not suid, instead uses filesystem
capabilities* to grant only necessary permissions. If you use any filesystem
lacking fscaps (like for example NFS), you get this error and ping will
work only for root.

* https://lwn.net/Articles/313838/

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia