[systemd-devel] Fwd: Fwd: CPU time of journal

Shuang Liu shuangistan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:42:00 UTC 2016

> I figure we could avoid this call entirely, by passing in the
> parameter we already got from the first invocaiton.

Great, we can save a lot by this.

> Well, with this you lose out on most of the metadata collection,
> i.e. "systemctl status foobar.service" won't be able to filter by unit
> anymore. However, if the metadata and filtering is not relevant to you
> you can certainly live without it...

I am not sure about the unit, seems we could still have _SYSTEMD_UNIT=
from the unit_id variable we got. But, right, the most meta data are lost,
which is definitely not desirable on Servers.

> Ideally, the kernel would just attach the necessary data directly for
> us to the log datagrams. That would fix a race and be much
> cheaper. Unfortunately noone bothered so far to make this acceptible
> to the kernel maintainers...

> I am not sure I like this idea... The primary reason the journal
> exists is so that we can implement "systemctl status" properly, after
> all...
>
> mybe some hidden env var we check might be OK, but certainly not a
> first-level configuration file option...

Okay, I agree with you. A hidden option is enough for such kind of use
cases.

Thanks for your advice. We really appreciate your help.

Regards, Шуангистан