[systemd-devel] Settings in /etc/systemd/journald.conf dont work

Tommy_Lu Tommy_Lu at gmx.de
Wed Feb 3 03:32:10 PST 2016

Hello

Ok, I understand, that the first step towards solution is to change my
expectations. The settings are never absolute and direct, but they are
a guarantee, that I can see the desired definitely, not less, but maybe
a little bit more. That is ok.

I have changed the settings to
Storage=persistent
SplitMode=none
SystemMaxUse=10M
SystemMaxFileSize=5M
MaxRetentionSec=1week

...but at first, there is no effect.  "journalctl --disk-usage" says
after reboot "Journals take up 40.0M on disk" furthermore. The content
in /var/log/journal is 4 Files, 3 times 8 MB, one time 16 MB, all
together 40 MB. That is much more as the setted 5 or 10MB.

It is really difficult to understand, what journalctl in this case done,
under which restrictions and which logic is following. Unfortunately
there is no really good translation of the man-page given. And for
Non-English-Non-Professional-Users it seems to be not possible, to do
things with understand it, before try the doing.

Now I have to observe the next Days and see, what happens. I will report
my result in a few days.

Thank you for your replay and best regards
Thomas

ps
It is also really difficult to me, to translate my question and this
talk ...  ;-) ... Sorry, I try to  do my best.