[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd v229

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 18:20:02 UTC 2016

On Feb 11, 2016 7:03 PM, "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 11.02.2016 um 17:50 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
>>
>>          * A new service setting RuntimeMaxSec= has been added that may
be used
>>            to specify a maximum runtime for a service. If the timeout is
hit, the
>>            service is terminated and put into a failure state
>

> failure state makes no sense at all here
>
> when i say "start and stop after 20 minutes" i mean stop it not fail
>
> usecase?

I wanted to say "aborting Type=oneshot services," but that's what
TimeoutStartSec is for. So I was wondering what the point of this is, too.

Apparently it's for instantiated services like systemd-coredump at .service.
Why can't a service for an Accept=yes socket be Type=oneshot and use
TimeoutStartSec?