[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd v229

Colin Guthrie colin at mageia.org
Fri Feb 12 11:40:34 UTC 2016

Armin K. wrote on 12/02/16 09:56:
> On 12.02.2016 10:54, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Dave Reisner wrote on 12/02/16 01:09:

>>> You're mistaken. See /usr/lib/sysusers.d/{basic,systemd,systemd-remote}.conf and
>>> systemd-sysusers(8). The curious absence of systemd-coredump from
>>> sysusers.d/systemd.conf is what I'm asking about here.
>>
>> Seems odd indeed. It's perhaps because the user needs to own directories
>> that are packaged (e.g. in /var) which is somewhat tricky with sysusers
>> - you need to have the user available before the package is installed -
>> i.e. an RPM %pre script.  Just a guess at why it was left out.
>>
>> Personally, I'd just make such folders ghosts and them have them created
>> by tmpfiles after package install (and thus after sysusers has run to
>> create the user who will own the folders)
>>
>> This is something that I think should be automated in RPM packaging
>> (i.e. the creation of ghosts automatically by parsing packaged tmpfiles
>> snippets), but this is off-topic.
>>
>> Col
>>

> I don't see the problem. The user is already in sysusers.d/systemd.conf.m4
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/sysusers.d/systemd.conf.m4
>
> I do appreciate that he mentioned a new user had to be created, because,
> you know, not everyone uses systemd-sysusers.

Indeed. In my package here, it successfully created the user via
sysusers on update. I should have double checked rather than blindly
believing Dave's statement which, as it turns out, is incorrect (tho' I
can see why he make the assumption due to the original wording).

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
colin(at)mageia.org