[systemd-devel] Network-pre.target and DefaultDependency

Viraj Raiyani viraj.raiyani at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 19:48:11 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I wanted to start a service before the networking service comes up and I
found out that you need to add dependency on network-pre.target as Before
and Wants in your service file. However, doing so resulted in killing the
networking service as my service unit was implicitly adding dependency on
basic.target resulting in a loop.

After doing more research I found DefaultDependency=no removes the
dependency on basic.target and it does not create a cycle. However, adding
DefaultDependency=no introduces other problems such as pre-mature start of
my service when some of the system needed services are not up.

Is there a way to add dependency on network-pre.target and don’t add
DefaultDependency=no in the unit without killing the networking service?

Thanks,

Viraj

--
Regards,