[systemd-devel] [RFC] the chopping block

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 12 21:24:37 UTC 2016

On Thu, 11.02.16 21:59, Martin Pitt (martin.pitt at ubuntu.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> answering for Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> Lennart Poettering [2016-02-11 18:06 +0100]:
> > 1) systemd-initctl (i.e. the /dev/initctl SysV compat support). Last
> >    time Debian was still using that, maybe this changed now?
>
> This would apply if you boot with systemd, then install sysvinit, and
> want to reboot the machine (using SysV's /sbin/reboot), right? Or the
> other way around?

yeah, it's about making legacy tools speak to systemd. i.e. you booted
up with systemd, and now want to use sysv "reboot" to reboot the
system. i.e for downgrading from systemd to sysvinit.

> This is still somewhat relevant for Debian, but maybe there's
> something simpler that can be done for that case? If there's any other
> way to reboot the machine in that situation, it can also become
> documentation.

You can send SIGINT to PID 1. Tha triggers a reboot on both sysvinit
and systemd.

> Not relevant for Ubuntu.
>
> > 2) compat support for libsystemd-login.so and friends (these were
> >    merged into a single libsystemd.so a long time ago). We are still
> >    building compat libraries to ease the transition, but that was a
> >    long time ago, hence I'd really love to see this go. Any distro
> >    still using this?
>
> D/U dropped the compat libs months ago.

very good!

Given that fedora got rid of it too with the exception of samba (which
as reported seems to have been fixed upstream already), I think we can
kill this now.

> > 3) systemd-reply-password – this is really old stuff used by the GNOME
> >    ask-password stuff which was experimental at best, and never found
> >    much use. Unless am very wrong pretty much nobody is using this,
> >    and we can just kill this without replacement. Anybody knows a user
> >    of this that I am not aware of?
>
> First time I hear about it TBH. I'm not a GNOME-y/desktop-y person any
> more, but this suggests that it's nowhere being used except for the
> rather old systemd-ui:
> https://codesearch.debian.net/perpackage-results/systemd-reply-password/2/page_0
>
> dracut apparently installs it into the generated initrd, but that's a
> trivial thing to drop.

That sounds very wrong. I'll ping Harald!