[systemd-devel] [RFC] the chopping block

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 13:28:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
wrote:

> 5) Here's the controversial one I think: support for booting up
>    without /var. We have kludges at quite a few places because we
>    cannot access /var early during boot. I am tempted to stop
>    supporting this altogether. Of course, this does *not* mean that
>    people with split off /var would be left in the cold. It just means
>    that they have to mount /var from the initrd, exactly like this is
>    already handled from /usr.

I didn't care about /usr, I always thought mounting it from the initrd is
fine. (Especially since most people I've seen only have the separate
filesystem directly at /usr, not separate ones at /usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc.)

But doing that with more and more filesystems, especially /var, somewhat
feels like going backwards from what systemd itself was trying to push
once, doesn't it? It used to be "sysv's mount -a is inflexible and you
should specify correct dependencies and use RequiresMountsFor" and all
that. Now we're going back to "specifying correct dependencies is a pain
and you should mount everything at once before starting any services"...

It's also unclear what precisely needs to be present, since people *do*
often have mountpoints for individual subdirectories under /var, e.g. I've
seen /var/log and /var/lib/mysql. So, for example, will systemd require
/var/lib/mysql to be mounted by my initramfs, even if mysql.service already
takes care of it? Or will it only require /var/lib/systemd or /var/log? How
is one supposed to know?

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>