[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd v229

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut at tezduyar.com
Mon Feb 15 08:36:33 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 12.02.16 23:12, Mikhail Kasimov (mikhail.kasimov at gmail.com) wrote:

>> > It's the same as with a daemon exiting non-zero. In that case we'll
>> > also continue with ExecStop= and place the service in a failed state.
>>
>> So, if I define, for example, RuntimeMaxSec=15s, that means unit should
>> stop its job in the interval=[0; 14.59]s and 15.00s will be interval
>> overflow with exit-code 'failure'. OK. But what if unit will stop its
>> job on, e.g., 13th second? Exit-code=success?
>
> Yes.
>
> RuntimeMaxSec= just says "abort this shit if it takes longer than
> this". The usecase is to use it for stuff which is not supposed to
> take this long, and where it's better to abort it, and complain than
> to leave it running unbounded.

What is a use case for this, can you give an example? I can make few
for a Type=oneshot service (Note that this setting does not have any
effect on Type=oneshot services) like "send this email, search this
database" but I cannot come up with something for other service types.

However I think it would be nice to extend this to terminate say a
service taking all available CPU within certain time.

Umut