[systemd-devel] Support for large applications

Avi Kivity avi at scylladb.com
Wed Feb 17 12:35:55 UTC 2016

We are using systemd to supervise our NoSQL database and are generally
happy.

A few things will help even more:

1. log core dumps immediately rather than after the dump completes

A database will often consume all memory on the machine; dumping 120GB
can take a lot of time, especially if compression is enabled. As the
situation is now, there is a period of time where it is impossible to
know what is happening.

(I saw that 229 improves core dumps, but did not see this specifically)

2. parallel compression of core dumps

As well as consuming all of memory, we also consume all cpus.  Once we
dump core we may as well use those cores for compressing the huge dump.

3. watchdog during startup

Sometimes we need to perform expensive operations during startup (log
replay, rebuild from network replica) before we can start serving.
Rather than configure a huge start timeout, I'd prefer to have the
service report progress to systemd so that it knows that startup is
still in progress.

Hope this is useful,

Avi