[systemd-devel] [RFC] the chopping block

Mike Gilbert floppym at gentoo.org
Fri Feb 19 01:33:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> 1) systemd-initctl (i.e. the /dev/initctl SysV compat support). Last
>    time Debian was still using that, maybe this changed now?

Gentoo allows switching between systemd and openrc (sysvinit) at boot
time, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

By default, sysvinit owns /sbin/initctl, /sbin/halt, etc. Users may
swap these to symlinks to systemd and systemctl by setting a USE flag,
but if they do so they knowingly lose the ability to switch back to
openrc without a rebuild of the affected packages.

I would like to selfishly request that you keep this interface around
as long as possible; if you remove it I will have to come up with some
replacement.