[systemd-devel] Support for large applications

Michal Sekletar msekleta at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 13:24:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:

> I don't think there's a way around the issue short of allowing
> watchdog during startup. Databases which do long recovery are a bit
> special, most programs don't exhibit this kind of behaviour, but maybe
> this case is important enough to add support for it.

Rather than configuring huge start timeout for the service, firing it
up and hoping for the best I was thinking about disabling start
timeout entirely, make service of type "notify" and signal service
readiness via sd_notify. Also update progress by sending STATUS
message when some significant stage of DB startup procedure finishes.
This is not solving watchdog problem, but I think it would be an
improvement anyway. At least, it would provide better debugability of
start-up of this particular service.

Michal