[systemd-devel] Moving systemd-bootchart to a standalone repository

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Mon Feb 22 18:45:58 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:17:51AM -0800, Kok, Auke-jan H wrote:
>> Splitting it out increases that potential and will allow
>> systemd-bootchart to evolve out of cycle again, and look a bit over
>> the fence. I've reviewed most of the changes to it, and noticed a bit
>> of a drop of risky commits, and those are the ones that are going to
>> be needed for this project to make it a useful tool in the future.
>>
>> So, I think this is a great move, one that certainly will motivate me
>> to engage more deeply again :)
> Hi Auke,
>
> what kind of big changes would you have in mind?
> Just the fact of being in one repo with systemd should not have
> much effect on changes to bootchart which is mostly standalone...

I have been asked on several occasions to make bootchart more
palatable for other OS's, including ChromeOS and even Android. This
has previously been shelved entirely, and I don't know if it's
currently even feasible, but at least logistically it should be a lot
easier to attempt.

The rest of the things I was looking at were items that being in-tree
did not affect, like new ways of grouping the process bars, better IO
visualization, etc.

Auke