[systemd-devel] Why does sysv generator translate Required-Start keyword into an After= ordering dep only ?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 24 17:12:04 UTC 2016

On Wed, 24.02.16 17:40, Francis Moreau (francis.moro at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that the unit generator for sysv init scripts translate
> "Required-Start: X" into "After=X" native ordering deps only.
>
> I would also have expected it to add the following dependency "Requires=X" too.
>
> What am I missing ?

Well, on SysV the requirement in the "Required-Start:" concept is
actually a request to the tool that enables/disables a service
(i.e. the chkconfig or update-rcd tool, depending on the distro). It
means that it shall enable another service "b" if "a" is to be
enabled.

Requires= in systemd otoh is something that applies to the actual
activation time of a service. The counterpart of "Required-Start:" in
systemd concepts would actually be the Also= line in [Install], if you
follow what I mean.

systemd leaves enabling/disabling of sysv services to
chkconfig/update-rcd hence it will not act on that line regarding
requirement. It will however act on the ordering, since that's
inherently something systemd itself cares about.

Hope that makes sense?