[systemd-devel] systemd user sessions?

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 07:24:54 UTC 2016

Am Wed, 24 Feb 2016 17:41:57 +0100
schrieb Krzysztof Kotlenga <k.kotlenga at sims.pl>:

> Jon Stanley wrote:
>
> > I'd like a systemd unit (and only that unit) to be controlled by a
> > specific user. The unit runs as this user, so I thought about user
> > instances of systemd. This service should be started when the system
> > starts, so you'd have to enable linger in systemd-logind for that to
> > work.
> >
> > The question is how to make the systemd user *service* start at
> > boot?
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=default.target
>
> $ systemctl --user enable foo.service
> Created symlink
> from /home/user/.config/systemd/user/default.target.wants/foo.service
> to /home/user/.config/systemd/user/foo.service.
> $
>
> That's pretty much it.

I don't think this is how it works... User services do not start at
system boot but at user session start. So without starting the user
session on boot, the user service won't start.

I think it needs to be a system service, then use polkit rules to
enable a user to control this system service.

--
Regards,
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.