[systemd-devel] Multicast signaling with sd-bus questions

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 12 09:39:48 PST 2016

On Fri, 08.01.16 00:37, Gorman, Brian (Vancouver) (bgorman at hp.com) wrote:

> Hi all, I am in the process of considering using sd-bus to
> coordinate a system-wide multicast messaging system between
> daemons. At this time I only have resources to look into using
> libsystemd without system running. It seems the sd-bus documentation
> is very sparse compared to sd-event - does this mean sd-bus is more
> immature?

I wouldn't say so. sd-bus and sd-event are equally old, but the former
is a much larger API thus the docs aren't complete.

> >From here I was hoping to run something like "dbus-send -system -dest=Test.Me -print-reply /Japan Japan.Reset.Test string:"Hello""
>
> It currently get errors about DBUs complaining that Test.Me was not
> provided in any .service files when executing the above command. Any
> suggestion how to get around that issue would be helpful. My initial
> attempt at copying:

If you want to broadcast a signal, then you shouldn't send it to any
destination, i.e. drop the "--dest=Test.Me" in your command line. If
you send it to a destination and it is not around you'll get the error
you are seeing.