[systemd-devel] Multicast signaling with sd-bus questions

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 12 12:16:47 PST 2016

On Tue, 12.01.16 20:13, Gorman, Brian (Vancouver) (bgorman at hp.com) wrote:

> Hi Mantas
>
> >>You really seem to be intent on using select() rather than an existing event loop or, at least, standard poll(); curious why.
>
> There is existing code blocking on select, so it seems like the easiest way to crowbar DBus into my code.
>
> >>Also, the 'sender' field is always a bus name (not sure but I think it's always the unique ":1.x" name), so "sender='testsignal'," would never match dbus-send (or anything at all).
>
> Is there a way to “match” against “:1.x” with sd-bus i.e. instead of
> “testsignal”? Is it advised to match against this, or should I have
> the emitting program request a name?

Hmm? ":1.x" are so called "unique names, they are assigned
automatically, and each peer on the bus has exactly one of these.

Since they are assigned automatically and effectively non-predictable
it only makes to match against them if the peer in question first
contacted you to let you know the unique name it has.