[systemd-devel] CODENAME field in /etc/os-release

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 13 07:22:01 PST 2016

On Wed, 13.01.16 11:53, Andreas Maier (andreas.r.maier at gmx.de) wrote:

> Hello,
> I have tried to search the archives of this mailing list for "CODENAME" but
> that searched the entire freedesktop.org site...
>
> Anyway, at the danger that this has been discussed before, I'd like to make
> this
>
> Proposal:
>
> Add CODENAME as an officially described field to /etc/os-release.
>
> Its value would be the release code name, for human consumption.
> It would be optional. If not specified, it would have no default.

We have one string already that is explicitly for human consumption,
and where distros can put whatever they desire to place in there, and
that's PRETTY_NAME. I am not sure what the case could be for defining
another field for human consumption.

Or in other words, if your distro does code names, then place it in
the PRETTY_NAME.