[systemd-devel] No maintenance shell on local fs failure (/bin/sh: no such file or directory)

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 03:18:36 PST 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 15.01.2016 um 11:40 schrieb Frank Steiner:
>>
>> This didn't mean that /bin/echo was not found, but the CHDIR failed!
>> That was caused by /root being a symbolic link to /local/home/root
>> (we strictly separate any user data including root from the system, so
>> that we can reformat / on reinstalling or upgrading the system).
>> But /usr/lib/systemd/system/emergency.service contains:
>

> that is a BIG MISTAKE and there is a good reason that by default the homedir
> auf root is *not* below /home just because /home is typically a own
> partition

While this is true, the concern is valid. We really want to minimize
chances that emergency service can fail and it really does not need to
be /root at this point. So I would vote for changing it to / as well.

> the reason is to avoid the problems you had and make sure that roots
> environment is available even when all disks but the rootfs are failing

Well, rm -rf /root; or /root removed as result of fsck'ing /. is it
enough reason to fail emergency service?