[systemd-devel] Can one service receive SD_NOTIFY (Ready) message of another service?

Pathangi Janardhanan path.jana at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 12:41:05 PST 2016

Hi All,

 The use case I have is following:

 I have a service B, which for its operation depends on Service A. Using
systemd feature, I can make systemd start service B after service A has
indicated ready.

 The issue is service B also does a lot of initialization which is
independent of service A (which also has length initialization code). After
that initialization it needs to know of service A availability, before
service B can declare itself ready.

 I see two choices:

1. Use systemd and have it start service B after service A is fully ready,
even if that means that the service B intialization is not being done in
parallel

2. Let systemd start service A and B together, and have some specific
messaging/mechanism from service A and B

 The third option I was looking for but which I could not find, was to

 have systemd start both independently, and then have service B query/wait
on systemd service till service A sends a SD_NOTIFY with ready message?

 is something like that possible, or is option 2 the best way for me to
proceed?

Thanks
Jana