[systemd-devel] systemctl isolate disconnects network

Justin Garrison justinleegarrison at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 16:22:19 PST 2016

When trying to isolate targets I run systemctl isolate multi-user.target
but on the systems I've tested (rhel 7.0-7.2 and Fedora 21-23) will also
restart networking. It also appears that the network restart does not wait
for NetworkManager-wait-online or systemd-networkd-wait-online even if I
manually specify them for units in the target.

The problem is it doesn't appear the network restart honors LINKDELAY set
in ifcfg-ethX files. We often find that systems switch target level and
network is UP but has no ip address. Once the interface is UP it doesn't
try to get an IP address and the system is in a stuck state if we were
connected remotely. The only way to get out of this state is to either
force a restart, go to the local console of the system (if available), or
open a local tty session via the hypervisor (if the system is a VM)

Is there a way to stop network interfaces from restarting when switching
targets? I haven't found a unit that defines this behavior but I don't see
why this would be the case when init 3/5 never caused this behavior.

--
Justin Garrison