[systemd-devel] Standardizing names for graphical session units

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:26:36 UTC 2016

On 07/06/2016 08:50 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> I'm not sure how this would work regarding things like g-s-d which you
> want in multiple DEs.. perhaps the gnome.target would have to be split
> up into gnome-base.target and gnome.target to allow for this use case?
> Or perhaps g-s-d could just become bus activated and not need any direct
> starting?

It wont and it became pretty clear to me when doing the systemd
integration in Fedora that each desktop environment would end up needing
it's own ( boot) target and as such they should be labeled by the
desktop in question ( gnome.target,lxde.target,kde.target etc ) and
graphical.target would be deprecated and or point to an generic
abstraction layer for the DM/DE's which the graphical.target would then
starts, in which the end users would select which Desktop Environment he
wanted to use to solve the above problem you are referring to.

the application that would be started by the graphical desktop would be
something along the line of

Choose your desktop

Gnome ( which starts GDM )
LXDE ( which starts LXDE )
KDE ( which starts XDM )
etc..

Basically just display some custom background image with menu entry
which allows users to select the desktop environment target to be
started  System boots  --> default.target --> graphical.target (
application started in which user selects for example the Gnome desktop
menu entry ) --> gnome.target is started  which all type units required
to start the desktop manager are part of ( including the
gnome-session.target.|||| )

It's questionable if such application should reside in upstream systemd
since arguably systemd should have never created the graphical.target to
begin with ( if it had not we probably would not be having this
discussion since desktop environment targets would have been created
instead ).

JBG