[systemd-devel] Standardizing names for graphical session units

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 14:02:59 UTC 2016

On 07/06/2016 12:51 PM, Jan Alexander Steffens wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 2:21 PM Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
> <johannbg at gmail.com <mailto:johannbg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     It's questionable if such application should reside in upstream
>     systemd since arguably systemd should have never created the
>     graphical.target to begin with ( if it had not we probably would
>     not be having this discussion since desktop environment targets
>     would have been created instead ).
>

> What do you mean? There is no user-level graphical.target in systemd
> (yet), and this discussion has nothing to do with the system-level
> graphical.target.

Martin is proposing changes to and dependency's on the graphical.target
trying to make it act as the abstraction layer ( since there does not
exist a single DM solution that serves all DE properly ) which will
never work since each desktop environment will need it's own target
which can be isolated to so applications/administrators and end users
can switch desktop environments ( by simply switching/isolating to
another target ) if they have installed multiple DEs to be able to
effectively handle the usecase that Colin pointed out ( classic use case
for that are labs in university's ) .

If you only have a single DE environment installed you could just make
that DE the default target of the installment and skip entirely the
graphical target if everything gets correctly implemented ( in effect
obsoleted it ) however if you try to use a DM that belongs to an single
desktop environment ( as opposed to one DM to rule them all ) with
multiple desktop environments you will always end up with a mess on your
hand.

In anycase none of the desktop environment targets should ever be
shipped with systemd upstream and depend on graphical.target but only be
as a part of their relevant desktop environment, shipped with it and
depend on it's own target otherwise systemd as an core/baseOS component
is being (mis)used to achieved consolidation in areas which are outside
it's scope.

JBG