[systemd-devel] Unable to get Systemd to work with Phoenix/Elixir Exrm Release

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Thu Jul 7 14:34:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 07:29:20AM -0700, Michael Chavez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie trying to get systemd to load my phoenix/elixir app.
>
> I have tried many variations of my hello-phoenix service file, the version
> that I feel is closest to being correct looks like this:
>
> [Service]
> WorkingDirectory=/home/hello-phoenix/app/bin
> ExecStart=/home/hello-phoenix/app/bin/hello_phoenix start
> Environment=MIX_ENV=prod PORT=8888
> Restart=always
> StandardOutput=syslog
> StandardError=syslog
> SyslogIdentifier=hello-phoenix
> User=hello-phoenix
>
> after reloading daemon, enabling and starting the hello-phoenix.service,
> systemctl status hello-phoenix.service outputs:
>
> ● hello-phoenix.service - hello-phoenix service
>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/hello-phoenix.service; enabled)
>    Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Thu 2016-07-07 10:14:30 EDT;
> 9min ago
>   Process: 4281 ExecStart=/home/hello-phoenix/app/bin/hello_phoenix start
> (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>  Main PID: 4281 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

  Does it fork?  If so, you need Type=forking in you [Service] section (default
is Type=simple, e.g. application running in foreground).
  See https://enotty.pipebreaker.pl/2014/10/08/failure-modes-of-incorrect-type-in-systemd-units/
for longer explanation.

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox