[systemd-devel] Adding a Timer section to .service files

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jul 8 18:29:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, 08.07.16 18:17, MichaƂ Zegan (webczat_200 at poczta.onet.pl) wrote:

> well, that makes sense, thanks. about a timer section shortcut, could it
> be done in a different way? like, it is a shortcut and systemd should
> somehow generate the corresponding timer file automatically? although
> still it would need a little special logic when loading the service
> first.

I am not convinced that providing two redundant ways to do the same
thing is a good idea. It's bad enough we support both /etc/fstab and
.mount for defining mounts. "Compatibility" is certainly a good enough
excuse to do this anyway in this case. However, if we have two
different ways to configure the same thing with systemd-native file
formats then that's a very different thing and I am very conservative
about really.

And as mentioned in the other mail: the load logic would become quite
different as we'd have to look for all kinds of unit files if we try
to load a .timer unit.