[systemd-devel] systemd IPMasquerade

Chris Trobridge christrobridge at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 16 14:59:26 UTC 2016

> Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 19:30:52 +0200
> From: lennart at poettering.net
> To: christrobridge at hotmail.com
> CC: systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] systemd IPMasquerade
>
> On Fri, 15.07.16 13:49, Chris Trobridge (christrobridge at hotmail.com) wrote:
>
> > I have managed to configure enough support in my kernel to enable me
> > to use nft to establish IP Masquerading but systemd-networkd is
> > still reporting "Could not enable IP masquerading: Operation not
> > supported".  What kernel configuration is required for systemd to
> > control IP masquerading?
> >
> > I have the nftables userland tools installed but are there any other
> > packages required by systemd?
>
> networkd and nspawn use the "iptables" kernel APIs, not "nftables", as
> that is not really universally available yet. Our intention is
> certainly to support nftables eventuall, but we aren#t there yet.
>
> Lennart

Thanks Lennart,
I thought I had iptables in place already and so assumed it needed nftables following a quick search on the error message.
I enabled more nftables modules to get it working from the command line so I will have a look at using iptables or investigate the nftables compatibility modules for iptables.
Cheers,Chris