[systemd-devel] sigpwr.target - intended usage?

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 12:41:01 UTC 2016

>> On Mon, 18.07.16 13:37, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently SIGPWR is used by lxc-stop to shut down LXC containers.
>>> What interface would you recommend instead?
>>>
>>> https://lists.linuxcontainers.org/pipermail/lxc-users/2015-May/009279.html
>>
>> Is that actually really used? I mean, upstart is pretty much dead
>> afaics...
>>
>> systemd since day one shuts down cleanly on SIGRTMIN+4, and it's
>> probably what a container manager should use (it is what machined
>> uses). See the "Signals" section in systemd(1).
>
> lxc containers require sigpwr.target to be hooked up properly,
> otherwise lxc-stop does not shutdown the container.

SIGPWR is wired up in sysvinit and upstart by default to initiate a
shutdown. Afaics both do not react on SIGRTMIN+4.

So the problem here is that lxc doesn't know what runs inside the
container: could be an older version of Debian (using syvinit), and
older version of Ubuntu (using upstart) or systemd.

universe are pointed away from Earth?