[systemd-devel] systemd[1]: Stopped (with error) /dev/mapper/wxyz.

Dave T davestechshop at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 03:11:10 UTC 2016

I have a fileserver with several HDDs (btrfs and dm-crypt for all except
one which is lvm2 and dm-crypt).

Within the last week when I umount a USB drive, all my other mounts
immediately get unmounted too. I lose /home and almost everything else
except the system device. The USB drive is the ESP (EFI system partition)
mounted at /boot. It is intended to be unmounted after boot and it worked
appropriately until the last week.

If I reboot, all is fine until I umount the USB device (ESP).

I have *not* tried to reproduce the behavior by umounting other devices as
this is a live fileserver. However, I can trigger this behavior 100% of the
time if I umount /boot.

journalctl shows a number of messages similar to this:

    Jul 24 20:25:41 myserver systemd[1]: Stopped (with error)
/dev/mapper/wxyz.