[systemd-devel] systemd-coredump, coredump is truncated to exactly 2GiB

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 25 12:42:49 UTC 2016

On Sat, 23.07.16 17:41, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek (zbyszek at in.waw.pl) wrote:

> Sounds like a bug in the logic. 2GiB is the default value for ProcessSizeMax=
> and ExternalSizeMax=. coredump.conf(5) implies coredumps larger than that
> will not be stored. I don't think it's useful to have truncated coredumps,
> so I think we should:

Truncated coredumps (and coredumps lacking some memory regions) are
actually not as problematic and useless as they may sound, as gdb is
pretty good as making use of what is there, and just letting invidual
operations fail where the relevant memory is missing in the
dump. Truncated coredumps is after all the traditional effect of
RLIMIT_CORE...