[systemd-devel] understanding systemd ordering vs dependencies

Mon Jul 25 22:59:00 UTC 2016

Hi!

I am trying to understand systemd ordering vs dependencies.

When I am already using Wants=, why should I also add After=?

When I am already using After=, why should I also add Wants=?

Systemd ordering with Before= and After= is more about speed concerns?
Such as for example to express "i want the webserver running before the
backup service" so I added for my custom backup systemd service
After=apache2.service."

Systemd ordering with Before= and After= is not "as strictly" adhered
compared to Wants= and WantedBy=?

Before, I thought After= is effectively as good as Wants=, but this is
apparently wrong?

Cheers,
Patrick