[systemd-devel] enable/disable swap before/after hibernation

Lukas Pirl systemd at lukas-pirl.de
Thu Jul 28 17:25:31 UTC 2016

Dear list,

I want to enable/disable the swap partition before/after hibernation.

However, it seems I cannot get the service to run early enough to avoid
the error:

  Failed to hibernate system via logind: Sleep verb not supported

The .service file looks as follows:

  [Unit]
  Description=…
  StopWhenUnneeded=true
  Before=hibernate.target

  [Service]
  Type=oneshot
  RemainAfterExit=yes
  ExecStart=/sbin/swapon /my/device
  ExecStop=/sbin/swapoff /my/device

  [Install]
  RequiredBy=hibernate.target

The service file itself works (with StopWhenUnneeded=true removed and
upon manual start/stop and verification).
It was installed by running `systemctl enable /path/to/file.service`

As another variation, I tried to hook against sleep.target and
hibernate.service with no luck.

Any help very much appreciated (this of course includes completely
different approaches).

Best,

Lukas