[systemd-devel] No rhyme or reason to systemd enabling/disabling service

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri Jul 29 17:56:59 UTC 2016

On 29/07/16 18:46, Chip wrote:
> And I believe, yes, network must be operating before
> dnscrypt-proxy activates.  I'm guessing that some configuration file in
> /etc/systemd/system/ needs tweaking?

My normal advice would be to talk to dnscrypt-proxy upstream or the
supplier of your dnscrypt-proxy package... but if you're running Ubuntu
16.04, then you should have version 1.6.1, and this bug already appears
to have been fixed before 1.6.1. So I'm not sure what you're doing, or
where your dnscrypt-proxy.{socket,service} came from.

The change you need appears to be
<https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/commit/f20d71fb863b6d1f4588b6b175efa9f2fd331d90>,
and maybe
<https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/commit/cdc497bb7cbb13f6dd4ad2b49ce8eeda83ea984d>
if that isn't in the version you're running.

It's dnscrypt-proxy.{socket,service} in /usr/lib/systemd/system or
/lib/systemd/system depending on distribution, although you can copy
them into /etc/systemd/system to make local modifications (or use
"drop-ins", see systemd.unit(5)).

--
Simon McVittie
Collabora Ltd. <http://www.collabora.com/>