[systemd-devel] pid file /var/run/dhcpd.pid currenty exists

XYZDragon xyzdr4gon333 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:07:35 UTC 2016

Hello,

When trying to restart isc-dhcp-server, I was wondering why it didn't
start. After executing the suggested `journalctl -xe` I could see that
something was wrong:

May 27 13:32:15 my-pc isc-dhcp-server[26032]: Starting ISC DHCPv4
server: dhcpddhcpd service already running (pid file /var/run/dhcpd.pid
currenty exists) ... failed!

The message was helpful. I checked the file and noticed that it seemed
contain a process id. After checking with `ps -p` it seemed that that
process wasn't running anymore. In my opinion isc-dhcp-server should do
this check itself without user interaction, deleting the file if it
exists, but contains a process id of a dead process. After deleting the
file everything worked.

Also note the word doubling 'dhcpdhcpd' and the missing 'l' in
'currenty' in the debug message. Those could be fixed.