[systemd-devel] /usr/lib/systemd/*.wants vs. Wants in unit definition

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 6 14:17:26 UTC 2016

Andrei Borzenkov [2016-06-06 14:56 +0300]:
> Sorry I had to be more clear. What is advantage of shipping them in
> systemd? Systemd has well defined early boot services that are always
> needed. Why they are shipped as links instead of actually expressing
> those mandatory dependencies in unit definitions themselves?

I didn't mean links in the systemd package itself, but other packages
which want to hook into targets or services. E. g. the network-manager
package could ship a
network-online.target.wants/network-manager.service symlink.

Of course it could also just do the usual WantedBy= in the unit and
call systemctl enable on installation (that's what the Debian package
does), but there are cases where you don't really want to make the
enablement configurable by the admin.

Martin