[systemd-devel] List of built-in services? (was: Best practice to set values in /proc?)

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Tue Jun 14 19:49:06 UTC 2016

On Jun 14 2016, Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Are there any best practices for adjusting values in /proc on system
>> boot?  Specifically, I'm looking for a way to do
>>
>>    echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/safename/mode_for_unprivileged
>>    echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/safename/mode_for_privileged
>>
>> ..as soon as possible when booting.
>>
>> I think this file is going to be available right away, but I'm also
>> wondering if there is some mechanism that would allow me to wait until
>> the desired file in /proc shows up (e.g. due to a module load).
>>

> /proc/sys is different from the rest of /proc – its persistent
> configuration has been /etc/sysctl.conf & /etc/sysctl.d/ since many years
> ago.

Indeed, but I wasn't sure if that was still the case in the systemd
world. Thanks!

This makes me wonder: is there a comprehensive list of the services that
systemd provides "built-in"?

With hindsight, "apropos sysctl" would have shown me that there is a
systemd-sysctl service. But the same doesn't seem to work for
e.g. "apropos cron" - even though I'm pretty sure that systemd provides
some cron-like functionality. So I'm wondering if there's other
functionality that I'm missing out on.

> By default, systemd-sysctl.service waits until systemd-modules-load.service
> has finished processing /etc/modules-load.d before it loads the sysctl
[...]

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Best,
-Nikolaus