[systemd-devel] how to use per-user systemd --user services / how to replace /etc/xdg/autostart/app.desktop?

Thu Jun 16 12:32:24 UTC 2016

Hi!

I would like to replace some /etc/xdg/autostart/app.desktop files with
systemd --user services. I believe these are better because then systemd
keywords such as 'After=' etc. can be used.

Is this a use case systemd can be used for?

Once the user logs in, the systemd --user service should start. Similar
to like /etc/xdg/autostart mechanism works.

Using Debian jessie (stable) with systemd package version 215-17+deb8u4.

How to do that?

Is there any difference for a login console and an X session?

Nowhere on search engines I found how to do that with Debian. I also
asked the Debian systemd package maintainers a while ago [with
instructions what I did], but did not get an answer. [1]

Cheers,
Patrick

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=820111