[systemd-devel] multi-user.target -> rescue.target and back to multi-user issues

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Wed Jun 22 07:38:11 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-22 05:39, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> 21.06.2016 23:23, Michal Soltys пишет:
>
> TBH, switch between run-time levels never really worked in the past,
> before systemd, so at least there is no regression :)

Well, depends =) It was easy to do it cleanly, but rarely anyone cared.
It's kind of the same as with pivot_root to initramfs' tmpfs during
shutdown - which is trivially doable (and in the same way as in systemd)
in classic init, but - no one cared :)

> Well, getty's are spawned dynamically on demand and there is no direct
> dependency between various targets and running services. So switching
> between multi-user and graphical would kill them. That's probably not
> what users expect.

It wouldn't (and it doesn't). There is no conflict between mutli and
graphical (graphical even wants/requires multi). Otherwise you would
require ignoreonisolate on nearly every service imaginable (ssh, dhcpd,
etc.).

multi and graphical even have explicit conflicts with rescue (though
that feels superfluous, considering both have implicit wants/requires
basic, and to get to rescue we have to go past that point).